Thursday 22 March 2012

Day Minus Six

I've written a lot about how I feel about all this stuff elsewhere, so rather than repeating myself I thought I'd just do some copying pasting. Apologies if you've already read all this in its original location.

How it all started:

This was on Thurs March 22nd, so about 12 days ago:

"I've been trying to lose weight for four months simply by cutting back on the sugary stuff, which has worked for me in the past, but it's made no bloody difference at all.

So I decided to go on the offensive, and about ten days ago I started a massive reduction in the amount of carbs I eat. The only sugar I've had in the last ten days was a meringue on Mother's Sunday. I haven't had any alcohol at all, and I've had several meals that consisted of only protein and veg. Apart from that every meal has had a massively-reduced quantity of carbs, and overall I'm eating a lot more protein and a lot less stuff generally.

I'm keeping it healthy - mostly I'm eating fish, chicken, cheese and pulses.

Oh yes, and I'm cycling to Oldham and back (to work) every Friday, which is a 22-mile round trip, up and down some extremely steep hills. It's about 2.5 hours of exercise overall, very aerobic indeed, and I've cycled up every bloody hill, without getting off the bike. And I'm swimming a bit too, and walking a bit.

AND IT'S NOT BLOODY WORKING.

OK, so it's early days, but I haven't lost a single pound.

Not only that but I feel hungry a lot of the time. This idea that protein fills you up just doesn't seem to work on me. Also on the days I eat no carbs at all, I feel pretty bloody ill.

I'm really sodding depressed about it and I just don't know what to do about it.

I don't actually agree with the kind of dieting that makes you go hungry - I can't see how it's sustainable and it's just a bit too hair-shirty for me. I'm not intentionally going hungry, I just really struggle to eat enough protein to fill me up. I get to a certain level and I just can't face any more, even though I'm still hungry.

I even had a theory that because I'm drinking more caffeine these days, my body is taking energy from the caffeine and therefore not using fat reserves instead? But I'm pretty sure that's bad science - surely caffeine isn't fattening (although using the above logic I'm not sure why it isn't)?

Anyway. Pah. [sulk]"

No comments:

Post a Comment